Thursday, March 18, 2010

With a friend like this who needs an enemy?

So there was one friend I told about our pregnancy. She had told me she was pregnant and was not so happy about it (not someone with fertility issues). At any rate she asked me how things were going. “Not great, it looks like I’m headed for a miscarriage.” “Oh I wish that would happen to me.” I kid you not. That was the response. I looked at her like WTF and almost started crying and said something to the effect of, umm that was not helpful. Immediately she was like I’m sorry blab bla....i had this urge to smooth things over and say to her I know you didn’t mean it. Instead I just said, it’s fine. Don’t worry about it. Then she’s all like I feel terrible – and I’m sure she did but I didn’t feel like consoling her for telling me she wished she was having a miscarriage too. Gawd.

I know she didn’t mean it. I know she has a lot going on. It’s just disappointing when a friend doesn’t come through. And it’s just sort of gross.

Anyway, still waiting and eating and popping pills and doing injections and time is slowly dragging by till next Tuesday.

Thanks for listening/reading.

3 comments:

m said...

whoa. that left me a little bit shocked. But reminded that no, most people DON'T think before they open their mouths. Suckage.

Stac, I am so, so sorry you are in the period of wait and see. Waiting and listening. Wishing you some peace and admiring your spirit.

Mo said...

Oh God. Total friend failure. I'm sorry that you had to hear that. And even sorrier that you're stuck in pregnancy limbo land. Wishing you that the time passes quickly until you can get some more information - hopefully some good news!

Hang in there.

Mo

Lisa said...

I have been following your story for a while but this is my first time commenting. All I can say is wow... I'm with Mo - total friend failure.

I'm sorry that you (and any of us for that matter) have to not only endure the pain of infertility, miscarriage, etc. but also have to deal with insensitive comments from all types (friends, family, co-workers...the list goes on).

I'm think of you ...